Fremont, Michigan – A family said that Walgreens have been giving a teenager the wrong medicine for almost a month already because a prescription was filled incorrectly by the pharmacy.
The error was only realized by the family of the teenager and the pharmacy when they went back to Walgreens in order to get a refill of the medicine.
Everything seemed to be in order at first when the mother Carol Backensto dropped by the pharmacy to pick up the prescription for Elijah, her son. On the bag that had the doctor’s prescription was the teenager’s correct name, address and medication label but the mother said that she noticed that her son had started acting strangely after he began staking the medicine.
According to Carol Backensto, Elijah was exceptionally moody and feisty and when she checked her son’s school work, all of them went downhill. This observation made her suspect that the pills she bought at the pharmacy after the prescription from her entrusted urgent care clinic were not working as they’re supposed to.
She was about to give her doctor’s urgent care office a call and ask if there’s a different dosage that her son needs to take because he didn’t act like himself for the past few weeks already. What she thought was a normal stage that her son goes through now that he’s growing up that’s responsible for the way he’s acting was actually just so wrong.
Backensto stated that her teenage son was able to take medication on his own that’s why she entrusted him his bottle and she didn’t even take a look at the pills herself before giving it to Elijah.
When it came to the point when they needed to get a refill for Elijah’s medication, Backensto noticed for the first time that the last name written on the bottle was not his son’s but a different one which seems to have been prescribed for someone else. This made Backensto worry a lot because her son has been taking the wrong medication for almost a month because of the mistake which started at Walgreens. She knew that there wasn’t any mistake on the end of the urgent care near me that assisted and provided her the prescription but the pharmacy.
As Backensto checked the bottle, she found that her son has been taking a generic form of Singulair which is a drug for asthma and not for ADHD which he intended to get. Fortunately, her son is not allergic to the medication that’s why there were not negative side effects that came up upon Elijah’s use of the wrong prescription. His extreme moodiness and feistiness was brought about by the lack of medication only.
While Elijah’s parents understand that what happened was an honest mistake but the family decided to move the teenager’s prescription to a small Fremont pharmacy closer to urgent care clinics in the area because they no longer trust Walgreens.